Mexican original: This is how top quality Tequila is made
Tequila belongs to the class of agave brandies, referred to as "mezcal". It is distilled exclusively in the region outside the city of Tequila, in the Mexican state of Jalisco, and only from a certain agave type, the blue agave. It takes close to eight years until the blue agave blossoms for the first time. Its fleshy interior cannot be harvested until then, when it is used in the complex production of tequila.
- Steam cooking: The heart of the agave is cooked for up to 36 hours until it is soft and it must then cool for up to 48 hours. It is then crushed and watered down.
- Pressing: The mixture is pressed and the agave juice is collected. Depending on the quality of the tequila, the pure juice is processed further, or raw sugar is added prior to further processing.
- Fermenting: Yeast is added and the agave juice is left to ferment for several days, during which time the sugar converts to alcohol.
- Distilling: The fermented agave juice (5-7% alcohol volume) is then distilled twice, until what is left is a fully clear tequila (blanco).
The clear tequila blanco does not develop its characteristic golden-yellow colour until it has matured in wooden oak barrels.
Quality characteristics: This is how to recognise a good Tequila
Tequila is available in two quality categories - the mixto, which must contain a minimum sugar content of 51% from the agave, and the tequila from 100% agave. Another taste and quality criterion is the degree of maturity, which is broken down into five classes:
- Silver/blanco: clear, is filled immediately after the distillation process
- Gold/oro: golden yellow, a blend of blanco and añejo
- Aged/reposado: matured in an oak barrel for a minimum of two months
- Extra-aged/añejo: matured for at least a year
- Ultra-aged/extra-añejo: matured for at least three years
Today, tequila is one of the most popular spirits around the world, but only very few know the various kinds and qualities available. At Heinemann, you will find an excellent selection of Mexican Tequila, which delights both connoisseurs and newcomers alike.
Purchase top quality Tequila at Heinemann and savour it
It is best to enjoy a top quality aged tequila in its purest form. For example, savour the intense agave taste of the Patron Tequila Añejo matured in an oak barrel. The Patron Tequila Silver with its slight citrus notes is exactly the right choice when preparing legendary drink specialities such as tequila sunrise, margarita or sangrita.
Be inspired by the selection of top quality tequila at Heinemann - and make sure to check out our monthly specials in the Heinemann shop: Here you have the opportunity to purchase tequila and other high quality spirits, fine foods and more online at significantly reduced prices.